WITH HONOR(S)
Juan Pablo Velasco

WITH HONOR(S)

SENIOR SALUTE TAKES CENTER STAGE
Senior students who have excelled throughout their academic careers honored the flag at the Jura de la Bandera on Sept. 28
Senior students who have excelled throughout their academic careers honored the flag at the Jura de la Bandera on Sept. 28 (Juan Pablo Velasco)
A UNIQUE TRADITION LIVES ON

On Sep. 29, one of the most important events of a new school year took place in the Performing Arts Center (PAC) at Colegio Menor

Jura de la Bandera is an event where students with academic excellence are recognised and everyone honors a long-standing tradition of Ecuador.

The Jura de la Bandera ceremony is not a universal practice; only a handful of countries observe this solemn tradition, including Uruguay, Chile, Mexico, Colombia, the United States, Spain, and Ecuador.

In Ecuador, this longstanding tradition has been upheld for many years. As Alegria Ayala, a dedicated Spanish teacher for seniors shared, the ceremony initially revolved around young individuals reaching the age of 18 who were soon to embark on military service.

The original event’s primary aim was to inspire commitment to defending the homeland of Ecuador. However, in the present day, this event has evolved, becoming a meaningful rite for every graduating student, symbolizing their pledge to their nation as they complete their final year of school.

“Ecuador is beautiful but mainly its people,” said Ayala. “When you are promising to the flag you are saying ‘I will do something for this country.'”

This event serves as a moment for students to immerse themselves in their patriotic sentiments and make a heartfelt commitment to contribute to their nation.

Ayala delivered a moving speech during this heartfelt gathering, where she eloquently conveyed her message to the audience: the profound question of “What makes Ecuador truly invaluable?”

Many people were touched by Ale’s words. One of them was Paula Salazar, a math teacher at the high school, who assisted for the event. 

“Speeches from the faculty were amazing,” said Salazar. “Alegria Bustos speech brought me to tears. It was very very well written and it was very thoughtful.” 

Salazar was a teacher at another institution last year, Colegio Aleman, where she also had the pleasure of assisting at a Jura de la Bandera. She noted that the main difference in Menor’s version of the event is a much more noticeable commitment to honoring the country. 

“It’s truly heartwarming to witness how this community, shaped by a predominantly foreign educational system, continues to uphold cherished Ecuadorian traditions,” Salazar added.  She further emphasized the privilege that is enjoyed in having a dedicated space to pay respect to the nation.

Maria Mercedes Mendoza, also known as “Meche” around the school, was one of the main organizers for the event. Mendoza has been a physical education teacher since Colegio Menor started in 1995.

“It was a challenge to do it at the PAC this time alone, but I am not scared from challenges,” Mendoza said. She noted it was the first year for the event to be hend in the PAC.

Mendoza managed to achieve an awesome performance. She taught students how the event was going to be executive during her PE class hours and then prepared the students during rehearsals. 

“Regarding what is learning about marches and that stuff, it has to do with what we know as Fuerzas Armadas,” said Mendoza. “My dad was in the military and I studied in the institution ESPE, a school from the army. Everything related with the counts and the way of marching comes from this, from Las Fuerzas Armadas.”

The Jura de la Bandera stands as a paramount occasion, carrying immense significance, not only within the school’s calendar but also in the nation’s cultural tapestry.

It imparts a profound message to the students who will partake in this event in the coming years: the vital need to recognize the privilege of residing in Ecuador and to foster a deep sense of gratitude for their homeland.

This sense of appreciation remains unwavering, even if a student eventually goes abroad, it is important to carry with them the knowledge of their roots and the place from which they emerged.

Rafaella Noboa- Primera Escolta del Pabellón Nacional
Celebration of Year, Tears

On Friday, September 22, seniors at Colegio Menor  pledged allegiance to their national flag during a ceremony held in the Performing Arts Center at 10 a.m.

The announced escorts for each determined section include: Rafaella Noboa and Martín Revelo for Pabellón Nacional; María Paula Velasco and Arianna Maldonado for Ciudad; and Daniel Mena and Isabela Olaizola for Colegio.

“It was quite a surprise being elected as Primera Escolta del Pabellón Nacional,” said Noboa. “I have worked hard all my life, with no pressure and expecting nothing but my own satisfaction. However, it was nice to know that all my effort, late nights, and stress have been worth it, so it did mean a lot to me being elected to this position.”

Monina Maldonado, a middle school educator who specializes in Spanish and social studies, confirmed that she is very proud of the seniors.

“In that class especially, there were more people who could have won because I always told them that they are an extraordinary class,” Maldonado remarked. “I think those six are incredible, but I think it’s an example of what the grade is in general.” 

These sentiments are echoed by many of their other teachers, including Joan Ashwell, who serves as the high school Dean of Discipline. 

“They are all outstanding students,” Ashwell said. “It seems to me that it is a reward for the effort they have made. When I read the names, I wasn’t surprised because they are all excellent students.”

The students selected for this honor earned the highest grade point averages for their class from first grade through their junior year. Also, these students were not able to achieve high grades, but they also had to balance their social life.

“I am able to balance my activities accurately, being able to hang out with family and friends while having my priorities clear and focusing primarily on studying,” Noboa added.

Noboa and Velasco are the perfect examples to demonstrate that these students have not only been thinking about their own achievements but permitted themselves to feel proud of their college accomplishments. 

“My thoughts throughout the ceremony were that I was not only really proud of myself but of my friends to made it to one of the titles too,” Noboa stated. “It was awesome to be surrounded by familiar faces. (Everyone) put a lot of effort throughout their path in school and deserved to be on the stage beside me.” 

This ceremony was meant to recognize brilliant students who have worked hard throughout so many years, and it has been an emotional experience for them. 

“Once the ceremony was over, I immediately called my parents,” Noboa said. “The way they expressed their feelings of joy, admiration, and gratitude caused some tears to roll down my cheeks.”  

Rafaella Noboa- Primera Escolta del Pabellón Nacional (Juan Pablo Velasco)
Abanderadas Take Center Stage
Abanderadas Take Center Stage

The students Alegría Bustos, Francesca Aviles, and Irene Aguirre had the honor to be named Abanderadas at Colegio Menor on Sep. 22, 2023. These students earned this title by getting the top three GPAs from all of the 12th grade throughout their school career. 

Alegría Bustos was titled Abanderada del Pabellón Nacional and was honored to carry the Ecuadorian flag in the ceremony. This role is the highest title a student can earn during their schooling in Ecuador, and having achieved this gave Bustos a sense of satisfaction, pride, and joy. 

The week before the ceremony, she had spent her time wondering about the decision, debating with herself who would be selected to carry such a significant title. She saw other students as possible candidates for the title and was shocked when they called her name at the ceremony. 

“It is not just the numbers I achieved throughout a long time, but it is also a reflection of my hard work,” Bustos said. “It matters more to me not that I achieved this, but how.”

To Bustos, this title shows a dedicated, honest student who had to work for herself. It depicts a student who worked hard on her schooling and earned the position on her own merits, not by being handed everything on a silver platter. 

She remembers vividly arriving at her grandparent’s home after soccer practice to work on her homework. Her grandmother was always willing and encouraged to help with her work, and she taught Bustos to always look for a different solution when approaching a problem, and not just in math. 

All these were experiences that Bustos is grateful for having, which led to her earning such an honorable title as this. 

Francesca Aviles was titled Portaestandarte de la Ciudad and carried the Quito flag during the ceremony. This title came as a surprise to her despite all the effort she had put into her work throughout her school career. 

“I knew I had good grades, but in my head, I was not as great as ‘Abanderada de la Ciudad’,” Aviles said. “That is when I understood that hard work pays off.” 

The advice she shared for future students aspiring for this position is to work hard for themselves. To work, not for their parents or to outshine other students, but to achieve this goal for themselves. 

Irene Aguirre was titled Portaestandarte del Plantel and carried the school’s flag at the ceremony. Her family and friends were really proud of her achievement, knowing all she had sacrificed for this position. 

To reach this goal, she sacrificed tennis, a sport she has been playing since she was 5. She focused her time on school instead, putting down the tennis racket and dedicating her time to her studies. 

“Throughout the years, I’ve learned to not take anything for granted, so every time I could, I studied and put the best effort [into] my work to see the best results,” Aguirre said.