NEW YEAR, NEW LOOK

NEW YEAR, NEW LOOK

Upgrades to Campus Welcome Students to a 21st Century Menor
Students Approve of Comfort and Creativity

When students arrived at Colegio Menor for a new school year in August, they noticed significant changes to the school’s infrastructure.

During the summer, Menor underwent renovations that included updates to the rotunda, outdoor areas, and the library. These changes were made to enhance students’ experience while at school.  

“I found the new Bear (Store) really great, because it has helped me buy my food quicker and it is better than the regular cafeteria,” Mia Gagliardo, a senior,  said. 

The rotunda and media center were one of major changes that were the most noticeable for students arriving on campus. Now it is more modern with an overall brighter feel.

A major renovation of the structures within the building have provided a generous amount of additional work spaces for classes, which double as lounging areas for students to study, or eat, during breaks.

“The media center was kind of forgotten and needed new areas for people to be together and study,” said Cris Cortez, Head of School. 

The Bear Store was one change that really affected and improved how students get their food and this presented more options for students to eat. The Bear Store not only presented food updates to the cafeteria but now it includes chapstick, writing utensils, new Menor clothing with the logo of the school,  and other products like water bottles and headbands. 

The seating areas outside the rotunda also had some updates like the incorporation of tables  that really helped students to be able to sit with friends and have more area to eat. 

It also provided room for people to do work and,  in general, this just presented new areas for students to learn and pass time with friends. 

Another improved outside area is the new basketball court and volleyball sand court, which are often enjoyed by students and teachers that enjoy doing sports.

These new courts were a big and important change for students in middle school, early childhood and high school because sometimes the old courts were already full and that presented limitations for extracurricular activities. Now that problem is solved.

“The basketball court and volleyball allows our students to have more experiences while playing sports during PE and free time,” Michael Anderson, the high school principal, said. 

Students really liked the new changes and are happy to know that school will continue to change throughout the years.

They are also happy to know that they are in an environment that can find comfortable when they are out of the classroom.

“All of the new changes look really great,” Gagliardo said. “I really enjoy using these spaces and I feel safe here.” 

Bear Store Provides More (Options)
Bear Store Provides More (Options)

It’s sleek. It’s modern. It has plenty of food options, and you can even buy a new hoodie.

The new Bear Store on the first floor of the Rotonda is one of many additions that have added to the long list of resources available to staff and students at Colegio Menor.

The Bear Store is offering an array of new merchandise, exciting collaborations with food brands, and expanded accessibility to a wide range of offerings.

“I wouldn’t say that the Bear Store has had more of an impact than the other cafeteria, but I would say that it has new products and that is what attracted people,” Marcos Tipán, supervisor of the cafeterias, said. 

In fact, there are new offerings of foods. For example, Go Green salads and burritos, Imperiales, musli, and a variety of other products to please your appetite. 

“The product that is most consumed in the Bear Store, I have to be honest, is the musli,” Marcos said.

Menor merchandise is also a pretty popular item early this school year.

“I believe that the Menor merchandising has had more impact on the parents, high schoolers, and middle school students,” Marcos said.

Sofia Eiris, a current senior, has given her opinion about the new Bear Store.

“I would say that I like the Bear Store because it has a more modern impression and the atmosphere is less heavy,” Eiris said. “The old cafeteria has a lot of echo and it smells like food too much.”

The Bear Store has a modern feel and the lights make the customer feel in a more open and clean place. 

“I do believe it is necessary to have a Bear Store because I think that the other cafeteria was collapsing,” Eiris said. “So I think that it’s great to be able to divide the students between the Cafeteria and the Bear Store because in the old one, the lines were way too long,”

Overall the Bear Store has had a great impact on the school as it is a new installation at school and the students enjoy it.

Clothing Line Creates Quite a Stir

Once again, Colegio Menor, the leading liberal arts school in Ecuador, is opening a new path to yet another fine art field: fashion.

The Bear Store released their newest clothing line when it opened in August, which includes a variety of ready-to-wear clothing pieces with brand new designs that represent the school’s spirit. 

This amazing and unique concept has only brought positive aspects to the Menor’s community. Within it, there are sweaters, hoodies, t-shirt, leggings, socks, caps, zip-ups, and many other more clothing items. The color palette chosen for them ranges from navy blue to pink and gray. 

Many of the items carry a new design, which moves away from the spectacled bear logo that was featured on school merchandise in recent years. The design consists of a capital C and M and the established date of the school, 1995. 

Many of the items can be seen on students, staff, and parents across the Menor campus. 

It’s not the first time the school has come out with a clothing line that represents them through its different aspects. What differentiates this new line from the previous ones are its representation and symbolism.

Alegría Davila, president of StuGov, believes the clothing represents “union.” She gets a sense of pride seeing every person, no matter their age or grade level, wearing the same sweater. 

Belen Andino, head of the art department of the high school, favors the beauty and symbolism of the new collection. She also thinks there are future opportunities for the clothing brand to expand and include designs created by students.

“We should use examples of some artwork from students on it,” Andino said. 

Andino also believes the clothing line items could use some diversity and unique influences from the student body. She believes the current designs are simple and could use some creative influence from those that will be wearing them the most.

“It looks comfortable, but I’d love to see us try to be different from other schools and use other elements,” said Andino.

She went on to say that she still thinks that the clothing line is a great idea for advertising and embracing a common identity of all the community. 

Isabela Green, an English teacher in the high school, agrees both with Davila and Andino.

“A clothing line promotes school spirit and connects people under a single name or title,” Green said.

She considers that the importance of the clothing line to be symbolism and purpose.

If she would change something regarding the clothing line, she would add the essence of student work too, echoing Andino.

“We have some designers at school who have beautiful skills and I think it would be a fantastic place to showcase all of their talents and all of their creative ideas,” Green added. 

This new clothing line can be a means by which the talent of these individuals can be seen and can come out of the shadows and get the recognition they deserve.

This new clothing line does indeed promote a school spirit of community by becoming a means of expression, where people can share the love and the commitment they have to the community. 

At the end of the day, this new clothing store is a beam of hope for future projects related to fashion within the school’s community.

Some students, like Davila, would still like to see different items, such as oversized sweaters or trendy items as part of the line. Nevertheless, the positive impact this clothing line has on the school is significant.

This new way of showing union is sure to be the beginning of new extraordinary ways to showcase the love and pride that the community shares for the school. 

“The clothing line develops the school’s community,” Green said.

Library Receives 21st Century Facelift

Learning requires regular visits to the library.

Students benefit from improving their skills and gaining new knowledge.

Colegio Menor’s recent library renovation hae made many people realize that library of old was something that was becoming out of date.

Students are very grateful for the changes made to the library, which has become an exciting place of learning. Today’s students can work, collaborate, and explore new worlds within the library’s walls as it is more than just a place to check out books.

Colegio Menor assistant principal Anabella Parker is one of those who is very excited about the new features and the new feel the library gives us.

“The library has been created thinking of a place where they can work, collaborate, and read,” Parker said. “It’s a multifunctional space.”

Her words emphasize how the library has evolved into a flexible space suitable for individual and group study.

The library’s innovative, modern look, focused on high school students, is one of the most obvious updates.

“The new library is more welcoming for high school students because it used to be more for little kids,” said Victoria Guarderas, a senior at Colegio Menor. “I truly enjoy how modern the new area feels.”

Students are attracted to the library because of its appealing design, which makes it a place they want to be.

As librarian Daniella Paez noted, there were difficulties associated with the transition. She noted that younger children might need help finding the new library’s layout to be as useful.

“The new library is not very practical for small children because they are smaller and it’s harder for them to reach (what they want),” Daniella stated.

Achieving a balance between making a space that engages high school students and keeping it accessible and appropriate for students of all ages was essential.

“It was a significant change, but not in a negative way,” Paez added. “It makes it harder for (students) to understand that there must be some boundaries, even though there are changes.”

The transformation of the library represents a move toward a more flexible and open learning environment, but it also comes with the necessity of maintaining rules and structure.

The recently remodeled Colegio Menor library is out to prove its ability to transform education. It has changed from a place that felt outdated, to a bright, multipurpose development that encourages creativity, teamwork, and a passion for reading.

The modifications have definitely renewed the library and made it a place where students can truly succeed in their educational journey. While there are still some obstacles to overcome, especially when it comes to accommodating younger students and maintaining a sense of structure, so far the reviews have been mostly positive.

The library is a place where students can learn, grow, and be inspired—it’s not just a place where books are kept.