The Student News Site of Colegio Menor

El Ojo del Oso

El Ojo del Oso

El Ojo del Oso

New Leaders, New Ideas

StuGov Members Make First Moves
Courtesy
The StuGov team for the 2023-2024 school year.

This school year has brought in a completely new batch of Student Government (StuGov) members, who are cooking up new plans and ideas for future school events. 

Following the election results from the end of last school year, these representatives of the student body have been hard at work preparing for all of the events programmed for the upcoming school year, including student favorites such as Coreografias and Balcones. 

The current Colegio Menor student body is composed of Alegria Davila (President), Emilia Ortiz (Vice-President), Jose Elias Checa (Treasurer), Daniel Atia (Secretary), Valentina Mosquera (Promotions Chair), Daniel Donoso (Community Service Chair), Sara Chediak (Social Chair), and Isabella Dominguez (Logistics Chair).

Some members, such as Alegria Davila, have already experienced what it is to work for StuGov; there are also some new faces, which in turn bring new ideas. One such person is Valentina Mosquera, who has some big ideas regarding events such as Halloween and Christmas.

“We’ve been think of creating engaging events like a Halloween event or a Christmas candy cane exchange,” Mosquera said, further adding that the goal is to “create a sense of community and interaction between the different grades.”

This goal of creating a more united school community is also supported by this year’s president, Alegria Davila.

“They should expect a fun environment because we are planning new events that are different this year,” Alegria Davila said.

Apart from wanting to create a more united community with the students, the student body is also strengthening the relationships within StuGov. This is evident in Mosquera’s response to a question regarding the current student government:

“The team is really, really organized and each of us has a different characteristic that supports and provides an engaging interaction with everybody,” Mosquera said. “Each person provides a unique job which helps toward a combined result.”

Davila added that there will be three main steps to achieve the best outcome for their year plan.

The first step is the organization within StuGov. The second involves talking and working with the administration to facilitate any event process. Third, after receiving support, they will reach out to external and internal sources.

This process has been put into action to ensure the best possible outcome for the upcoming events, some events which are kept as a surprise, including Coreografias and the new Halloween event. 

Despite all attempts to obtain any information regarding the Coreografias theme, Davila states that “she will not share any information regarding the theme for Coreografias, but assures that it will be really enjoyable and fun.”